Do you ever go into a bakery? Of COURSE you do! Do you ever buy a pastry that looks delicious, but then are seriously disappointed in the taste…? And then, to top it off, are you overwhelmed by the amount of fat you’ve just consumed for something that really wasn’t that all that great? Me, too Do you ever wish, on a weekend morning with your second cup of coffee, for that imagined deliciousness, without all greasy pastry and sugary icing? Me, too Pssssst… Come here! No, come closer! I am going to tell you how to make a breakfast pastry as delicious as the one you are dreaming of…, and without the load upon load of grease and sugar!
Now. Seriously…, am I your best friend, or what?!
It’s so simple! You need 2 slices of bread, a bit of cream cheese, and a handful of blueberries. It helps if you have a sandwich maker or a panini press, but if you don’t, use a frying pan and make this Blueberry Heaven just like you would a grilled cheese sandwich.
I found the original recipe here: http://www.fitfromconception.com/2012/06/blueberry-breakfast-grilled-cheese.html No, I am not pregnant, roflmao. Neither are any of my children. I have no idea how I ended up at that website, but I am glad I did.
[a Stand-in for Fat and Sugar Laden Blueberry Pastries]
For each serving:
- 2 slices of bread, any kind. Make it whole wheat if that’s the way you roll. I use Orrowheat Country Buttermilk Bread. Cinnamon bread would probably be delicious, as would almost any kind of homemade bread (don’t use homemade rye bread or anything like that!).
- Plain cream cheese, enough to spread on two slices of bread.
- a sprinkling of sugar, less than 1/4 tsp, optional
- a handful of fresh blueberries, about 24 (jam can be substituted)
- Butter, optional, unless you are using a frying pan
- Preheat sandwich maker, panini press, or frying pan.
- Spread each slice of bread with cream cheese, no measurements here, just coat the slices of bread to your preference. (If you are using a frying pan, spread the other side of the bread with butter)
- Sprinkle a bit, and I do mean a bit, less than 1/4 tsp of sugar over the cream cheese, just to sweeten up the cream cheese a little bit. (I’ve made this without the sugar, and it’s just not the same.)
- Arrange blueberries on one slice of the cream cheese covered bread. Use as many as you want, but I think 24 is about perfect. I like to evenly space the blueberries on the bread so I get an equal number of blueberries in every bite.
- Put the other slice of cream cheese covered bread onto of the blueberries, cream cheese to cream cheese.
- Put the sandwich in the press, latch close, and cook for 2 minutes. (If using a frying pan, put the sandwich, butter side down on the preheated frying pan. When the first side is golden brown, flip, and cook the second side until it is golden brown too.)
- Remove sandwich from the press or the pan and let cool a bit, the filing will be mad hot right out of the press. Be careful.
- Enjoy! It’s a little slice of heaven, isn’t it?
- Repeat. You’ll want to make one for someone else…
Thanks for stopping by my kitchen today! Aren’t you glad you don’t have to drive over to the Olde Time Bakery for a pastry that will only make you feel badly about yourself? Hooray!!